Pages

Saturday 6 September 2014

Google Maps and those pink bunny installations of Brisbane

You know how sometimes you can be oblivious to something, until one day this something is pointed out and, suddenly, it's EVERYWHERE. Waiting in your mailbox, whizzing past on your way to the bus; it's like that Donnie-Darko-meets-UniKitty pink rabbit thing Brisbane Festival has lurking around. The holy "cannot unsee".

My "cannot unsee" is the use of Google My Maps by online news outlets' I read. I knew the function existed, and it was a common tool used by journalists. Until Sir Sherratt and Lady Hetherington pointed it out a few weeks ago though, the maps were ... glossed over?

Now, during my morning peruse, I notice.

Okay, so this is not the worst "cannot unsee". It would've been much more, er, awkward to walk in on you on the loo. Or worse, on the loo AND wearing one of those Unit shirts.You know, those half-naked-blonde on a sexually-suggestive-motorbike tee-shirts*.


http://d2nsgnoj157yga.cloudfront.net/images/product/NONE_NONE_3082_NONE_Unit_White_Skyway_T-Shirt_0--21c81-XL.jpg
Ahem. Awkward for him.

As these maps are so prolific, I thought I'd jump on the metaphorical bandwagon and map tomorrow's journey. Let's start from Grand Plaza (contrary, not grand; people with rats tails congregate there). Kinda like the Unit guy pictured above.

First, I'm going to a gym class tomorrow morning. Yep. I'm fergalicious.


Okay, maybe not fergalicious.

After, Joel and I will drive to Mt Gravatt Park n Ride. We'll then take the 130 'Buz' along the busway to the Cultural Centre. We're venturing to a lecture at the State Library for the Brisbane Writer's Festival (!!). We'll have to walk from CC to the SLQ. First though, we're going to wander through the Suitcase Rummage happening at Reddacliffe Place.

We'll meander across the bridge back to the SLQ for the talk. Intellectual banter will occur, which Joel and I will discuss overly-loudly on the bus home because we're pretentious (not really, did I mention we're from Browns Plains?). Dahling. But we won't be going home yet...

Needed a Harry Potter reference. Not sorry.

Alas! We're driving to the Brisbane Airport to pick up Joel's parents returning from their Tasmania sojourn (back to the Park n Ride first!). I've devised a cunning (read: pretty mediocre) plan to get them to stop at Sunnybank on the way home for delicious fare.

Step one: I mention I'm hungry. 
Step two: I plead for food like Dudley Dursley. 
Cunning.

Then home. I'm not mapping that route. I like to leave a little mystery and allure. You're not knowing my address, even if Google already does.

TA-DAAAAAH! Google My Maps is funky, indeed. As a consumer, I like the interactivity. I think it's also a great way to catch the reader's attention, and keep it trained to the page, especially serial skim-readers!


View Sunday Adventure in a larger map

Thanks for making it to the end of this post, sans falling asleep. Unless you're on modafinil; then thanks to the drug for getting you to the end of this post.

Until next time,
Grace

*Seriously, males. Stop making such incredibly poor clothing choices. Get a collar and some class.

2 comments:

  1. Love it. Seriously envious of your multimedia skills (think I need to do a TAFE course, or spend my time with my teenagers, to achieve these heady heights). Zoomed in on your map. Fantastic. NB wanted to watch your 'Brum' clip (intrigued) but the link isn't working.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks again, Angela! Credit is due to the internet - the most patient educator, sometimes. A teacher may not reiterate how to embed a map 5 times, but YouTube will gladly play the video on repeat. Will fix the Brum video. :)

    ReplyDelete