Pages

Friday 1 August 2014

Social Media: personal vs professional

Let's not pretend I have any idea what I am doing here. I like writing, I inhale books, and, while I may not necessarily enjoy current affairs, I tend to be abreast of the goings-on in our world (and that Islam is definitely not a country; Ms Banister, One Nation candidate, I am looking at you). Despite this two-step-butter-cupcake recipe of circumstances, I am digitally-distant. I don't have Facebook, you will not find me on Instagram. I read this symbol # as 'hash' not hashtag. 

But I am a journalism student. I have a social media dilemma.

Social media is necessary professionally for journalists. I understand these resources are stellar for as-it-happens coverage of breaking news, analysis and opinion. I also note how online communication is overtaking broadcast. Social media assists journalism's transition from the traditional one-sided report (print) to a multi-faceted, conversation between writers and readers. It is extraordinary.

Social media is more commonly used to share one's personal life though, which can be risky for journalists. How do journalists separate personal and professional use of social media? Journalists are public figures with the ability to dictate public discourse and opinion. Their professional stances are objective, yet one only has to scroll through any journalist's Twitter feed to gage whether they lean left or right. This is the blurred line. As public figures, journalists' personal use of social media could be interpreted by the people as professional output.

I wonder, does this interrelation between personal and professional use of social media discredit journalism's integrity?

A recent example is Joe Hildebrand's tweet about Ian Thorpe coming out as gay. This is a personal opinion, from a professional account. Hildebrand, a columnist, TV host and radio announcer, has significant public status with 56.7k followers. @joe_hildebrand wrote: "Good on Thorpey for coming out as gay. Although if he really wanted to shock people he should have said he was straight." Hildebrand is entitled to his own 140 characters worth of opinion, but they needn't be broadcast as a professional media figure. I believe personal opinion, particularly through social media, tarnishes journalism's ability to foster trust with the audience.

Although I do use Twitter and another pseudonym blog for journalistic pursuits, I am still unsure of how to work the divide between personal and professional; so, for now, I will keep avoiding personal social media.

I could be utterly wrong, so tell me what you think of this issue?


2 comments:

  1. What?! No Facebook? You are killing me. Nice honest opinions and pleasant sytle. - but could be more visual. Insead of just quoting Hildebrand, for example, how about a screen shot? I also suspect the reality that the barriers of personal/professional is gone but we shall see

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Perhaps the crux of the issue is not journos using social media personally, but inappropriately for their wide audience. Some may lack foresight for what their followers truly want.

      The thing I'm wary of about is professionals manipulating social media to make a situation/news story 'theirs'. For example with journos, a photo of themselves outside a courthouse says 'there is a trial on and I am here' rather than remaining anonymous and just reporting the news. Journos are not supposed to be the news, yet social media gives them the tools to be included if they want.

      I understand that it is exaggerative to say ALL people on social media do this; I know they don't. While this isn't a prominent trend among the people I follow on Twitter now, will it soon become the norm?

      Delete