Pages

Friday 15 August 2014

Where's your will to be weird?

Roughly one year ago, I was involved in a serious accident at QUT.  The memory still tugs on the corners of my mind each day.

I was a law student. Yeah, yeah, not an injury accident, regardless ...

I had been consumed by textbook readings, case notes and the eery silence of Z Block rooms when NO-ONE ANSWERS THE TUTOR'S QUESTION!!

Not to mention the onset of anxiety when these started to bloom. Exams were near.



If I made paper-chain-people from my textbooks, I could probably string it around C block three times. But I didn't, because I borrowed all my books...

As a law student, it was hard to justify reading the news for an hour, scrolling through Twitter*, perusing The Hoopla, The Conversation and Mamamia (Yes, I read Mamamia even though I don't have children!) and following baking blogs with cute typography. These outlets took time, something I was fresh out of. Permanently.

NOW, a year later as a journalism student, I find myself receiving such conflicting messages.

 "Read the news E-V-E-R-Y day!"

 "Keep an active social media presence - Tweet in class!"

 "Superglue yourself to technology, gurl!"

 "Bloggity blogs"

 "Go to the gym more!"


Okay, the last one wasn't from journalism, and no-one has ever really called me 'gurl'. But still.

I get the importance of keeping abreast of technology, the internet and the people that live inside it. Reading other people's blogs helps me craft my own writing style, news and conversation sites ensures I've got a fresh flow of ideas even if my voice is still faint and shallow!

How does ruffling through the media help with your journalism education?

Yet,it's still weird to be revelling in something I once only indulged in. I love it.

Anyone else find it hard to shake these conflicted feelings?!  

Until next week,
Grace




... On the topic of law, I was frequently expecting the characters of Air Gondwana to start speaking Simlish and fiddle-challenging death. Just me? Alrigh-tay.

*Seriously though, how does Peter Black find the time for Twitter AND law??!!

No comments:

Post a Comment